Danette Mahabeer (Domestic Violence Survivor) Q&A

 

Q: What influenced you to write the book "Leave Alive"? 

A: Having experienced Domestic Violence first hand has led me to write this very inspiring book in the form of a guide to help other domestic violence victims across the globe to be better able to identify the signs to look for and how to be proactive when dealing with an abuser. As a Domestic Violence Survivor, I strongly believe that God placed it on my heart to write this book. 

 

Q: How will your book empower and help those individuals who are victims of domestic violence when they open it up to read it?

A: The book LEAVE ALIVE! was specifically written in the form of a guide to help current victims of domestic violence. This book will not only help current victims identify the signs of abuse, but also empower them to take the brave and necessary steps to end the abuse. Each chapter contains a Bible scripture to help current victims identify with God's words and promises for them. 

 

Q: Being a victim of domestic violence, when do you realize the moment that you say, "I have had enough" and walk away from that relationship? Does that moment ever come?

A: There is no scripted answer to this question. Each victim's experience is unique. For me personally, it took the moment I saw my abuser on top of me while I was seven months pregnant with his baby, with his fist and knuckles pressing into my ears while using his other hand to hold both my hands over my head. I saw my life flashed before me and remembered hearing these specific words coming out of my own mouth, asking him as he sat over me in rage and anger, "are you trying to make me lose this baby?" That was the moment I said "I had enough" and walked away from my abuser for good. That moment will look different for each victim because some victims are stronger than others, some will come to realization earlier than others, and some will keep going back until unfortunately they die. What I do know is that the "I had enough" moment for every victim of domestic violence comes at a point when it's life and death.

 

Q: Are there any beginning signs that are shown in a relationship that an individual may need to know or be aware of before getting more involved with their partner?

A: Absolutely. There are many early signs to pay close attention to when trying to identify an abuser or an abusive relationship. Abusers tend to rush you into making long term commitments in a short term time frame. After only dating my abuser for one month, he proposed and wanted to get married immediately at the courthouse. This hindered me from seeing him for who he truly was. Another sign to pay close attention to is jealousy. If someone calls you twenty times in a day and wants to know literally everything you do by the hour, take heed. This at first may be perceived as he or she is really into me. This is a sign of obsession. 

 

Q: After going through such a horrific situation of being a victim of domestic violence, what are some steps that one may need to practice on a regular basis to begin the healing process?

A: The healing process starts with reconnecting with God and allowing his truth to remind you that you are loved. It may also be necessary for domestic violence victims to participate in post traumatic counseling sessions to help alleviate the trauma and anxiety. This type of counseling is effective in allowing victims to heal the brokenness and pain they have experienced.

 


Q: What words of encouragement or advice would you share with those who are victims of violence, however, feel as if they have no way out?

A: The first step to ending your abuse is breaking the silence. If no one knows you are being abused, no one can help you. Open up to someone you trust. You are not alone. There are advocacy centers and other resources available to domestic violence victims. I was seven months pregnant and undocumented when I left my abuser. I was at my most vulnerable phase of my life. Today, I am proud to be a Domestic Violence Survivor. If I could, you can!


Q: I can tell that you have a loving and caring heart when it comes to giving back. You are a philanthropist and the founder of the Mother Daughter Relationship (M.D.R.) Foundation. What sparked in you that inspired you to want to become a philanthropist and the founder of the Mother Daughter Relationship (M.D.R.) Foundation?

A: Throughout my life’s journey, struggles, and success, my mother, Melaney, has always been there with me and for me. She supported, prayed with, encouraged, cried with, and celebrated me. She is my mentor and my best friend. Over the years, we have continued to enhance and nurture our mother-daughter relationship and bond. When my daughter came into my life, I felt a love I have never felt before coming from such a small human, and I have finally realized what my mother’s love for me felt like and the powerful love she also receives from me.

I am very blessed to have a strong mother-daughter bond and relationship with both my mother and my own daughter. I was inspired by the three-generational mother-daughter relationship that we have, so I have decided to launch my own foundation called Mother-Daughter Relationship (M.D.R.). The mission is to nurture and promote the mother-daughter relationship and bond from generation to generation.

For more information about Danette Mahabeer please visit

Www.Instagram.com/LeaveAliveToday

Www.Facebook.com/LeaveAliveToday

Purchase Book

https://www.authorhouse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-001217933

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis – Legendary and Iconic Grammy Award-winning Songwriters & Music Producers

Ugo Lord Believe it Live it Dream it

An interview with Eugene Brown