Terrell Carter

Terrell Carter Q&A

Interviewed by Tocarra Eldridge

Q: What is you definition of Consciousness?
A: Of course being awake and attentive, and also being in sound mind.
Q: What are the difficulties that you face in this industry and how do you cope with them?
A: Being a singer who is not always as marketable vocally…that’s sometimes a challenge. Me being able to sing really well is sometimes not what the industry usually calls for. Being in the industry for a number of years, I’ve found that to be pretty much a challenge.
Q: What is your perspective on the lack of Black directors if any?
A: At this point in the industry I feel that it’s the same as the lack of black male lead actors. I think that we need to look deeper, and I’m not against a melting pot, but I don’t want it to be as it is. There are definitely not enough black directors nor enough black male or female lead actors. I think it would be great for it to just be a melting pot, where a lot of movies are not just for one genre, where everyone can enjoy. The lack of black directors doesn’t represent what we are trying to do when it comes to the United States period.
Q: Do you feel as though black artist are properly represented?
A: I think that black artist are represented properly. Most black artist tend to lean toward the R&B side more and music is just changing a lot. Whether we’re represented right or not, it’s harder for a lot of the artist of yesterday like the Joe’s and Ginuwine's. Then we don’t have Whitney and Michael and people like that anymore. It’s just that music is different and the industry is a lot different so it’s easier for the Lady Gaga’s, Miley Cyrus’ and people doing mainstream stuff. But I think they’re represented well. You still have people like Chris Brown, Rihanna, Ciara and other people making headway.
Q: Describe your type of music, how is it different from others?
A: I think that my type of music is definitely soulful. The music on this new project gives people what they’re looking for, and listening to radio wise. In my bio it says ‘I sing from the soul for the soul’. For me, I love to have songs that really heal people and people can get something out of it. I’m trying to give them a taste of what they’re used to hearing on the radio, and what makes it different is just that it’s me singing.
Q: Name a song that inspired you through your tough times and what is it about this song that you like?
A: A song that inspired me through my tough times is actually a gospel song written by Thomas Whitfield performed by the Clark Sisters called “You Can’t Take My Faith Away.” It’s basically self explanatory. The whole song speaks about everything…it doesn’t matter if the grass whithers…you can’t take my faith away. The actual message of the song which says, as hard as it may be, as tough as the industry is, and sometimes things not going as well as you’d like them to, but at the end of the day you have to keep pushing and knowing that the goal is always greater than the struggle. That’s one song that has always kept me pushing forward.
Q: What do you think African Americans can do to improve themselves in love relationships and business relationships?
A: I think African Americans have a set back, because as a whole, [the] don’t usually have the foundation set where they are growing up in a family where they get the guidance of finances, investing and retirement. All of that stuff kind of goes right past a lot of African Americans families because of the way that they are. I think now it is something that you have to instill in your kids…as far as business relationships, love relationships and also understanding that the business in the industry is just as important as the song and the writing; it’s actually more important, I would know. (laugh) I think we’re in a society where everybody wants things so quickly that as soon as they see that somebody is not doing one or two things that they love or they like, then they are ready to move on to the next thing. I think people need to understand that in their relationships and marriages that you want to do what it was that our grandparents did, and that’s actually make the vowels and stick to the vowels. I’m not saying stay with a fool or with somebody that treats you bad, but at least try to stay there and get over things and work through the problem.
Q: You mentioned that nowadays couples don’t want to stay there and work through the problems. Do you feel as though they think it’s too much work to stay there and possibly go to counseling and work things out?
A: No, I don’t even think it’s about the work anymore. I just think that their options are different now. You have so many different things and people. Before there was no Facebook and Instagram, and the other online stuff. Now you can reach so many people all over the world. So, it makes your options much wider. Now you can reach people in Greece. When you’re in relationships people tend to want things so quickly instead of taking their time and understanding that if you’re going to make these vowels and say that you’re going to be with someone that this is what it is and you go through it. But it’s not like that anymore.
Q: What are your thoughts on how to redirect the lives of our youth?
A: You can’t expect the youth of today to live by the same rules as before. I think we have to have that conversation with an understanding of letting kids know how important it is to not only stay in school, but to also make them aware of the so many distractions like Facebook, etc., but to continue to focus. I think adults need to be educated more on the things that are causing the distractions for the kids. It’s real easy to tell someone to stay in school, but at the same time they’re not focused enough.
Q: Why do you prefer crafting uplifting songs rather than chasing trends of today’s top 40 clear channel format?
A: Songs of yesterday by people like Pattie Labelle and Stevie Wonder just had so much meaning. Not that I don’t like the Chris Brown’s or Rihanna’s. It’s just that the music of yesterday’s lyrics meant so much and they were so different. A lot of the music of today, the kids don’t know anything else if they don’t know that other music from yesterday. For me, I would take that over today’s music any day.
Q: Would you like to add anything in closing?
A: I’m working on a new project. I really want people to know that me as an artist… that what I’m here to do is give people something and not just here to take. I’m an artist that loves to heal and give people comfort through my songs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis – Legendary and Iconic Grammy Award-winning Songwriters & Music Producers

Ugo Lord Believe it Live it Dream it

An interview with Eugene Brown