Marlon Yates stars in STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON

Marlon Yates stars in STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON
Interviewed and written by Tocarra Eldridge
Photo Credit: Bobby Quillard


Marlon Yates, Jr. is a native of South Central, Los Angeles, who studied acting and was booked for national campaigns and commercials such as K-Swiss, McDonald’s, Nike, Hyundai and Timberland. Eventually, the breakout star would land a role in the summer feature STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON where he plays the role of The D.O.C. Outside of acting Yates has a newly founded organization BCAA that is an outlet for youth in the inner city communities.

I (Consciousness Magazine) had the opportunity to interview Marlon Yates, Jr. Here is what he had to share with the readers. 

Tocarra Eldridge: What was it like playing the role of The D.O.C.?
Marlon Yates: Playing the role of The D.O.C. was a great experience. I had the opportunity to portray a very well respected Hip Hop Artist. I also had the opportunity to meet Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Paul Giamatti, F Gary Gray, DJ Yella, MC Ren, and my character The Diggy Diggy Doc.

Tocarra: What did you like most about playing the character of The D.O.C.?
Marlon: What I liked most about playing his character was that he was a cool guy. He reminds me of myself because personally, I like to think that I'm a cool guy in my real life. Lol.

Tocarra: Were you ever a fan of NWA? If so, did you learn anything new about the group that you were not aware of?
Marlon: I was a little too young to be a fan of the group, but being a part of the film I immediately became a fan, and now they are on my iTunes favorite playlist.

Tocarra: If I’m correct, this is your first movie role. How does Straight Outta Compton differ from any other films that you have ever been involved with?
Marlon: Yes this is my first film, but it will not be my last one.

Tocarra: You’re a man of many talents. Was acting always a passion of yours or did you take the challenge to be successful at it?
Marlon: Football is my first passion, and acting was something I was always really interested in, so when football didn't work out as planned I went running full speed to Hollywood. I started taking classes all over the place and now I'm starring in my first film.

Tocarra: You also have an organization called BCAA. What was your inspiration to starting this initiative?
Marlon: Yes, my buddy Bobby and I started that years ago, but we were so focused on other avenues we put it behind us. The organization is certified and ready, we just need to put the leg work in and continue to build it. We decided to start BCAA (which stands for Brothas Capable of Accomplishing Anything) because initially I come from the inner city and I know how inner city communities need outside resources and we wanted to be able to provide the proper outreach for those communities.

Tocarra: Do you have any advice for up-and-coming actors or actresses?
Marlon: The advice I want to give for up-and-coming actors and actresses is if you want it, go after your dreams; don't talk about it, be about it.

Tocarra: Would you like to add anything in closing?
Marlon: I'm amazed and grateful to be a part of this film. You can follow me on social media, Twitter: marlonyatesjr, Instagram: marlonyatesjr and go see the film STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON in theaters August 14.  

Tocarra: Thank you so much for the interview Marlon!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis – Legendary and Iconic Grammy Award-winning Songwriters & Music Producers

Ugo Lord Believe it Live it Dream it

An interview with Eugene Brown