Eson Black Interview


Eson Black: Bringing Back the Originality of R&B
Interviewed and written by Tocarra Eldridge

I (Consciousness Magazine) had the opportunity to speak with vocalist, songwriter, producer and singer, Eson Black, who is a native of Cameroon. Ever since a child, the talented singer has had the gift and passion for singing and pursuing her music career. To make her dream come true and to make her music career prolific, the exceptional artist would go on to earn a Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts and a Master’s degree in Marketing and Management while in Paris, France.

Eson Black has been very instrumental in the music industry as she was fortunate to grace the stage with the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, alongside her choir Charles Jenkins and Fellowship Chicago at the Arie Crown Theater (Chicago). In 2012 the choir went on to have the # 1 Gospel album in the country for several weeks.

Today, Eson Black has released a new single titled “Sending My Love,” a song where she captivates and shares the true essence of  her writing and lyrical skills and also utilizes her unique and beautiful voice to express and bring back the true original sound of R&B. Here is what she had to share about her music career and her artistry.

Tocarra Eldridge: When did you realize singing and songwriting was something that you wanted to pursue?
Eson Black: I realized that I wanted to be a singer/songwriter when I became aware of the fact that I could not only sing, but also write songs and create melodies. This realization came to me when I was 15 or 16 years old, as it was around that age when I started writing my first songs that I still have to this day.

Tocarra: When you first began your music career, when it came to the music scene was there a difference of the culture in Paris as oppose to the United States when you began to make a name for yourself?
Eson: I personally never felt that there was a difference in the music scene in France and the one in the USA. African American music in particular and American music in general has always had a big influence overseas. Everything that is played here was played in Europe and Africa. When I was growing up in Cameroon, there were actually some American R&B singers that we knew and loved as entertainers that my American friends don’t even seem to know. So my point is: African-American music has always been enormously represented on the international scene. Don’t get me wrong, French hip hop and R&B do exist as they do in many countries, but for some reason American music always takes over…in my opinion anyway.

Tocarra: What would you say separates your style of singing from any other artist?
Eson: The way my style can be separated from any other artists is through my vocals that I consider unique and easily identifiable, especially once you’ve heard one or two songs of mine. Also the fact that I have a multicultural background: Cameroonian (Africa), French (Europe) and American adds a difference to my way of singing.

Tocarra: What is your ultimate goal as a singer?
Eson: To inspire, uplift, comfort and encourage people through my vocals, lyrics and melodies.

Tocarra: As an independent artist, what has been the most rewarding attributes for you when it comes to releasing your own music?
Eson: Freedom….that gives me a real sense of a real accomplishment. Working as an independent artist gives me real freedom in terms of music style, lyrics and way of singing. As an artist, to be able to be free is one of the most important aspects of the art.

Tocarra: What advice would you share with aspiring singers who are looking to a make a living out of the music industry?
Eson: [My advice is] to never give up on their passion; never give up on anything that makes you happy and fulfilled. However, while pursuing to make a living out of the music industry, I’ll add that it is important to secure a college degree. Education is never a waste of time.

Tocarra: Would you like to add anything in closing?
Eson: I’d like to thank all the singers who inspired me musically and who reinforced my love for singing through their amazing talents…from Aretha Franklin to Brandy, without forgetting R. Kelly, Jodeci or the Gap band. There are so many to list.

Visit Eson Black’s Social Network and Download her new song “Sending My Love”  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis – Legendary and Iconic Grammy Award-winning Songwriters & Music Producers

Ugo Lord Believe it Live it Dream it

An interview with Eugene Brown