Harlem Globetrotters...Paul 'Tiny' Sturgess (Interview)


Paul “Tiny” Sturgess
interviewed and written by Tocarra Eldridge

Leading his team to two regional championships while playing at Mountain State University in West Virginia, it was evident Paul “Tiny” Sturgess was destined to become a professional basketball player. 

Standing 7 feet, 8 inches, blending in with skylines of every major city, Tiny demonstrates that he can not only dunk and shoot the ball, however, he also demonstrates successful performances while playing with the iconic team that we all know as the Harlem Globetrotters.

When not playing the game of basketball, one may catch Tiny swimming, golfing, or playing the sport of soccer. I had the opportunity to catch up with the Loughborough, England native who wears a size 20 in shoe size. Here is what Tiny had to say.

TE: How was life for you growing up in Loughborough, England?
Tiny: It was normal. I don’t really know how to describe it. I was just normal. I always had a good group of friends surrounding me and a supportive family. I was just an average kid who grew up a little bit faster than everyone else around me. (laugh)

TE: What inspired you in wanting to become a professional basketball player?
Tiny: When I was a little bit taller, I started playing basketball. Then I pursued a basketball scholarship over here [United States]. Once I got that [scholarship], that’s when I pursued my dreams to become a professional basketball player. I knew that I created a lot of attention, and I knew that being a professional basketball player was probably possible. Things worked out pretty good for me.

TE: Being 7 feet, 8 inches, what type of attention do you receive on a regular basis?
Tiny: I get attention all the time. I can’t walk down the street without people looking at me or speaking to me. Literally everything I do…people want to take pictures with me.

TE: Guinness’s World Records recorded you as being the world’s tallest professional basketball player. How does that feel to go down in history?
Tiny: That’s pretty cool to be recognized in something like that. Not many people get the chance to be in the Guinness World Records. So, I’m definitely honored to have that recognition! Hopefully I can break a couple more records one day.

TE: You’re usually involved in community events that empower the youth. What kind of gratification is that like for you?
Tiny: It’s awesome! Going to the schools is the best part of the job. We’re currently undergoing a program right now where we’re going to schools all over the country. It’s called the ABC’s of Bullying Prevention. It’s great to be able to put across a serious message, but in a fun way. Being a role model for the kids is definitely something that I enjoy.

TE: What advice would you give the youth who want to become a professional basketball player?
Tiny: It’s just the standards. As long as they work hard, believe in their dreams and surround themselves with positive people, anything is possible. They have to work hard and definitely remain positive. Like I said, the people around them need to have similar dreams and a good attitude.

TE: Would you like to add anything else before we close the interview?
Tiny: Just that we’re looking forward to coming here in Chicago at the end of the month. This is my first time here, this time, so I’m looking forward to coming back.

TE: Thank you so much for your time Tiny!
Tiny: No problem. Thank you!

Read article at Consciousness Magazine http://www.consciousnessmagazine.com/PaulTinySturgess.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis – Legendary and Iconic Grammy Award-winning Songwriters & Music Producers

Ugo Lord Believe it Live it Dream it

An interview with Eugene Brown