Legendary Comedian & Actor, Tommy Davidson

Legendary Comedian & Actor, Tommy Davidson – The Man of Many Talents
Interviewed and written by Tocarra Eldridge
 
Tommy Davidson is back for a second season of Turner Network’s Black Dynamite as the voice of Cream Corn. The animated series is based on the 2009 film Black Dynamite. Other voiceovers for the animated series include Michael Jai White (Black Dynamite), Kym Whitley (Honeybee), and Byron Minns (Bullhorn), just to name a few.
 
Davidson has played hilarious characters on the unforgettable smash hit series In Living Color. During his phenomenal career, he has performed countless stand-up shows, starred and appeared in numerous films, as well as engaged in multiple character voiceovers for animated series. As a well-known comedian and actor, Davidson has brought laughter and entertainment internationally, earning his respect as a household name. Some of his most memorable acts include his impersonation of icons such as Sammy Davis Jr. and Michael Jackson.
 
I was honored to have the opportunity to speak to the legend himself, Tommy Davidson. Here is what he had to share during a recent interview with Consciousness Magazine.
 
Tocarra Eldridge: You are the voice of Cream Corm in the animated series Black Dynamite, what makes this character unique from any other voiceover you’ve ever done in your career?
Tommy Davidson: (Laughs) It’s just different in its own way. It’s kind of a squeaky voice. I have a really charming character. Whereas, he’s not the lead character, which I usually do the lead voice. But it’s just like one of those parts, which is cool with me. I really like it.
 
Tocarra: Regarding the voice over, what has the experience been like for you working on this project?
Tommy: It’s been fun! It’s been taking me all around. I’ve gone to Comic Con twice because of it. I actually get to be on Adult Swim, which is a new experience for me. It’s just a whole new audience.
 
Tocarra: Being a successful stand-up comedian and actor, what were the challenges for you to get into the character for the voiceovers versus your typical stand-up or sketch comedy?
Tommy: It actually made it easy. I was so accustomed to just doing things off the top of my head, like doing improv, and then I’ve learned lines so well from acting, so it actually turned out to be one of the better things I can do.
 
Tocarra: How long is a typical voiceover session?
Tommy: It takes about an hour and a half. It can take anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours.
 
Tocarra: Last year you bought the rights to “Deconstructing Sammy,” a story based on Sammy Davis Jr. Would you like to tell us a little about this endeavor?
Tommy: Yeah. I got the rights to the best book that I thought would make a movie. For the last two years I’ve been reaching out to directors, writers, and producers, just trying to maneuver this thing [movie] into reality. It’s been kind of difficult, but I am blessed to be doing something like that.
 
Tocarra: You were a smash hit in the sketch comedy In Living Color. Can you see yourself having roles in sketch comedies in the future?
Tommy: I would like that! Yeah! I would very much like that. That would be so much fun!
 
Tocarra: What words of encouragement would you share with up and coming comedians who are looking to have longevity or a tenure such as yours?
Tommy: I would say never take no for an answer and be on stage seven days a week.
 
Tocarra: Would you like to add anything in closing?
Tommy: Enjoy the series. I will be around the country. You can catch me on TommyCat.net where you can get all of my stuff. Keep your eyes open because it’s much more coming!
 
For more information about Tommy Davidson please visit www.TommyCat.net

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis – Legendary and Iconic Grammy Award-winning Songwriters & Music Producers

Ugo Lord Believe it Live it Dream it

An interview with Eugene Brown